IGNORED

Artemis (Cynthia Jeub) 4: Plotting The Grift for the New Location

Coconut Flan

43 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Muscle atrophy and deconditioning are the way to be 80 at 40 or even 30.

When I read Art these days I am reminded of that Children’s classic, The Secret Garden. Just as young Colin was trapped in a wheelchair by years of inactivity and emotional suffering, so is young Art. She seems to be trapped by sorrow and stagnation. I wish there was a Mary Lennox or Dickon to encourage her to break free. I fear this new location will not be a secret garden for her to explore, but a shut-in claustrophobic space of despair and pity. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Bassett Lady said:

When I read Art these days I am reminded of that Children’s classic, The Secret Garden. Just as young Colin was trapped in a wheelchair by years of inactivity and emotional suffering, so is young Art. She seems to be trapped by sorrow and stagnation. I wish there was a Mary Lennox or Dickon to encourage her to break free. I fear this new location will not be a secret garden for her to explore, but a shut-in claustrophobic space of despair and pity. 

It's garden variety depression; and one of the best ways to help combat depression (especially low level, chronic depression) is to get exercise. No, not everyone will get a "runner's high" or exercise euphoria. However, getting up and moving around will do wonders for mental health.  Art may or may not be physically disabled, but even if they were, there are still options. And none of those options should be "just give up and stay in bed all day." They need a routine - get up, hygiene, exercise (whatever that might look like), hygiene, food, and general required tasks to be an adult human in the us (check bank account, meal prep, look for job, etc) 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Art may or may not be physically disabled, but even if they were, there are still options.

And figuring out ways to stay active despite limitations can be an important part of managing disability. You know, for those people with disabilities privileged enough that they aren't actually forced to continually overwork themselves due to poverty.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1