IGNORED

JD and Brittany Lott- American Family Road Trip

PopRox

I think that Britney mentioned JD speaking Spanish when they were planning the trip to Brazil, which shows how little she knows. Any native English speaker I’ve met who knows Spanish, even fluently, struggles to understand Portuguese, but vice verse the opposite is true. They can read it but the sounds are totally different. It’s the same even with understanding native Spanish speakers if their regional accent is different than what you’re used to.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, BensAllergies said:

I think that Britney mentioned JD speaking Spanish when they were planning the trip to Brazil, which shows how little she knows. Any native English speaker I’ve met who knows Spanish, even fluently, struggles to understand Portuguese, but vice verse the opposite is true. They can read it but the sounds are totally different. It’s the same even with understanding native Spanish speakers if their regional accent is different than what you’re used to.

It's possible as well that she doesn't know what language is spoken in Brazil. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

It's possible as well that she doesn't know what language is spoken in Brazil. 

She for sure made a big deal about teaching the kids Portuguese. But she also wrote “Hola!” Instead of “ola!” (I think) on an intro to Brazil post.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, FunFunFundie said:

She for sure made a big deal about teaching the kids Portuguese. But she also wrote “Hola!” Instead of “ola!” (I think) on an intro to Brazil post.

Okay. I don't follow these people, so I wasn't sure. There are definitely people assume that everyone in South America in Spanish similar to people who assume Africa is one country.  

As for Hola, Google Translate spells it "olá" so you are correct.

• Upvote 2

On 8/11/2024 at 7:29 AM, FiveAcres said:

I would worry that their skin color and bright Christian countenances will make them targets.

I was relieved the State Dept. warning didn't list kidnapping for ransom as a typical criminal activity, just regular garden variety violence.   

And yes, Dengue Fever (also called Bone Break Fever) is a horrible illness.  It was episodically prevalent in the southeastern tier of the US during the 1800s until the 1940s, when fogging trucks drove around spraying DDT to suppress mosquitoes.  It's caused by a virus, so there's no cure.  Treatment is palliative -- non-NSAID pain relievers, hydration. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Howl said:

And yes, Dengue Fever (also called Bone Break Fever) is a horrible illness.

Have never had it fortunately, but two friends who came down with Dengue said it was the worst illness they ever had - it was a LOT of pain & suffering before recovery.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

This bitch. Her recent post about how great of parents they are has this sentence:

“Many well-meaning parents love their children but still make choices that cause more harm than good.”

In other words: we do it right and maybe you think you’re doing it right but you are just stupid for thinking that and hurting your children.

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 2

Like shoving 7 of them in a bunk house with no privacy or things to call their own?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, justpassingthru said:

Like shoving 7 of them in a bunk house with no privacy or things to call their own?

As if they are the only parents in the world who are intentional about their parenting and everybody else is misguided or distracted.

I think it’s really great to travel with your kids. I’m jealous of a lot that they have managed to do. I’m not “well-meaning” for making sure my kids can do organized sports and bond with non-family friends and have long-term relationships with pediatricians and teachers and coaches.

Not to mention - she acts like they have this Big Plan with the bus. I only just realized recently that they had Big Plans with the tiny house and Big Plans with Brazil and the kids not only have no stability with a community, they also keep being told that their PLANS are something and then it’s not. Even the bus situation is unstable.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, FunFunFundie said:

This bitch. Her recent post about how great of parents they are has this sentence:

“Many well-meaning parents love their children but still make choices that cause more harm than good.”

In other words: we do it right and maybe you think you’re doing it right but you are just stupid for thinking that and hurting your children.

She said that about other people! 😆 How funny!

TBF, I guess that doesn't apply to them, since I'm not sure their intentions are good. Their intentions seem more self-centered. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 8/13/2024 at 3:43 AM, hoipolloi said:

Have never had it fortunately, but two friends who came down with Dengue said it was the worst illness they ever had - it was a LOT of pain & suffering before recovery.

It's also very dangerous if you're infected with two different strains as it can lead to haemorrhagic fever. Fortunately infecting the mosquito vector with a type of bacteria, Wolbachia, means that the mosquito can't transmit the virus. There are studies underway in Malaysia to release infected mosquitos to reduce transmission, hopefully this is also occurring in Brazil and other regions where it is endemic.

• Upvote 6

On 8/14/2024 at 3:36 AM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

TBF, I guess that doesn't apply to them, since I'm not sure their intentions are good.

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood" popped into mind immediately! 

The Animals, Nina Simone:  "Don't let me be misunderstood" 

• Haha 4