IGNORED

Jana and Stephen 17: Married August 15

Coconut Flan

I’m not sure anyone recapped the video with the 5K screenshot. Before the wedding, Jana was renovating the house, and seems to have been mostly living in Nebraska, with a rotating cast of sibling helpers/chaperones. Then she went back to Arkansas and spent time with family (including running the 5K), finished wedding prep, and had her bridal shower. She was much more low-key about the alterations to her gown than the seamstress was on social media. I wonder if the rush was because she was headed back to Nebraska? Her shower appeared to be in the fellowship hall of their church. There were maybe 50 women seated at tables. Jill attended. They served Jana’s favorite “coffee punch” - is that a thing?

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 8

coffee punch? Doesn't sound too good to me.

Maybe it's some sort of latte drink.. or something..

• Upvote 2

Looking at recipes, coffee punch doesn’t sound bad. 

Vanilla coffee, evaporated milk, sugar, and vanilla ice cream. It sounds like something you could get at Starbucks. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

It looked like cold coffee in a punch bowl, but I’m willing to assume that it’s yummy.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It looked like cold coffee in a punch bowl, but I’m willing to assume that it’s yummy.

Iced coffee with lots of flavoring seems popular these days. I’m ok with it. But my preference is hot coffee. 

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I’m not sure anyone recapped the video with the 5K screenshot. Before the wedding, Jana was renovating the house, and seems to have been mostly living in Nebraska, with a rotating cast of sibling helpers/chaperones. Then she went back to Arkansas and spent time with family (including running the 5K), finished wedding prep, and had her bridal shower. She was much more low-key about the alterations to her gown than the seamstress was on social media. I wonder if the rush was because she was headed back to Nebraska? Her shower appeared to be in the fellowship hall of their church. There were maybe 50 women seated at tables. Jill attended. They served Jana’s favorite “coffee punch” - is that a thing?

As a quick note, if you're referring to the Instagrammer/YouTuber Bella Mae who posted about altering the gown, so far, she hasn't gotten to those alterations, since the person she showed in the preview clip about altering her gown (right at the end of the video) isn't Bella Mae.

Separately, apparently coffee punch is a thing, and can be made with a combination of water, sugar, instant coffee granules or freshly brewed coffee, milk or creamer, vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream, and syrup drizzles. I think it might end up a lot like a cold, but not frozen, mocha.

A couple recipes I found: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/244920/southern-coffee-punch/ 
https://www.barniescoffee.com/blogs/recipes/coffee-punch-the-perfect-party-dessert (with variations)

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

Coffee punch sounds good.  Sounds like I might need a pitcher of it in the fridge once my new baby arrives to get me through the first few months.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 8

On 8/16/2024 at 4:56 PM, Kiki03910 said:

Stephen is quite handsome, but mostly I hope he's kind.

IME, Stephen is good people. So is the Wissman family, I am told. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, metheglyn said:

As a quick note, if you're referring to the Instagrammer/YouTuber Bella Mae who posted about altering the gown, so far, she hasn't gotten to those alterations, since the person she showed in the preview clip about altering her gown (right at the end of the video) isn't Bella Mae.

I don’t remember who it was. Does she post on Instagram to promote longer YouTube videos? Was the assumption that Jana was the bride who had her initial and final fittings in the same day incorrect?

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2024 at 7:52 AM, fish_ca said:

I found the shoes in the mirror. Not my favourite, but I am not surprised. 

Screenshot_2024-08-17-14-47-43-081_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg

@QuiverFullofBooks Bella Mae just posted a single pic on her Instagram stories, so it's not there any more, although @fish_ca caught the screenshot above that tagged Jana specifically. Bella Mae hasn't posted a video about the process; the only lasting wedding content on her Instagram is her being tagged as a collaborator in a wedding photo carousel by Jana. https://www.instagram.com/janamduggar/p/C-wPRVuOMg4/?img_index=6

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 10/14/2024 at 11:20 PM, GreenBeans said:

Isn’t a 5k five kilometers? That’s like half an hour of running as a not-too-well-trained woman (been there, done that 😂). If you’re a regular runner, it’s probably more like a morning run, so definitely possible in early pregnancy.

I am definitely not a runner (although I can easily walk that), but I was more thinking how incredibly awful I always felt in the first trimester (and honestly all through pregnancy). Stopping a run for a puke break doesn’t sound appealing.

• Upvote 4

On 10/15/2024 at 12:19 PM, Travelfan said:

Hate and despise running!!!  Never ever would I do it. I’ve hiked down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up twice. I’ve done backcountry camping in the Grand Tetons, 22 miles in 2 days carrying my backpack with all my gear/tent and food. I’ve hiked to the top of half dome in Yosemite. But there is no way I’m running a 5k!  I’m very competitive, I always want to win, yet my hate for running was so great that I’m high school when we had to “run” 1 mile in gym class I walked the whole thing. Took my 15 minutes and I came in dead last, but I didn’t care because I despise running!!

Snap. Before my back problems I quite happily bagged Munros and skied (I was a very cowardly skier), but running? No chance. I’ve never seen the point. Cross country runs at high school were a No no. Me and my friend would set off with everyone, once out of sight of the try awful games teacher we strolled leisurely back to school and got changed. I spent most PE lessons in the music room tidying cupboards or in the library. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/22/2024 at 7:18 PM, nvmbr02 said:

All 4 of my grandparents are/were very catholic. They all had between 9-12 siblings except my maternal grandmother who was an only child. One of my grandparents had 4 kids, the other 6. My mom's parents had 4 kids, but my mom was the only one to have children and she had three.  My dad's parents had 6 kids and they all had between 1 and 4 children, with 3 being the most common number. With my siblings and cousins 3 has so far been the most kids, with 2 being the most common. most of the family would still consider themselves Catholic, going to Mass at least 1 day a week. Ironically, my sister is trying for #4 now and she left the church years ago (doesn't attend any church)  though she does follow several large families on tik tok and instagram. 

I relate to this. I have some very religious extended family members (but only one who is quiverfull). Meanwhile, I am 100% secular and live in an area where 3 children is a large family. But I’m still trying for a 4th! Because I love having kids and I love being a parent and my window is quickly closing/might already be closed. 

On 8/22/2024 at 10:47 PM, justmy2cents said:

My thought is that Jana had a problem with how public Jill and Derick were with the conflict with JB and the relationship is strained now. Here’s Jill’s reply to why she wasn’t a bridesmaid. 

Hide contents

IMG_8036.thumb.jpeg.9726c88ee90aa123eefcfa9cd7ef5694.jpeg

I actually think Jill’s wording here pretty clearly indicates that this was pressure/a direct demand by JB.

If this was just or mostly based on Jana’s choice, I think Jill would have said something like, “we are a big family with a lot of sisters! I love Jana and wish her the best.” If JB told Jana (who has never publicly rebelled), you’re not having jill in your wedding, she would say, “idk but it should be the bride’s decision.” She’s implying that it wasn’t. Otherwise, that’s a very odd thing to say. Jill is smart. She’s toeing the line, not betraying Jana by saying the real reason, but letting everyone else know it wasn’t up to Jana. 

Also, even among this forum of critics, everyone has consistently underestimated the level of narcissism, control, abuse, manipulation, and coercion that JB is capable of. It has been worse than we realized every time new info comes out. And that’s only what we know about. I think he sees excluding jill from the wedding party as a public statement of his level of control over the family and forced support for his shunning of Jill. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

30 minutes ago, Johannah said:

I actually think Jill’s wording here pretty clearly indicates that this was pressure/a direct demand by JB.

If this was just or mostly based on Jana’s choice, I think Jill would have said something like, “we are a big family with a lot of sisters! I love Jana and wish her the best.” If JB told Jana (who has never publicly rebelled), you’re not having jill in your wedding, she would say, “idk but it should be the bride’s decision.” She’s implying that it wasn’t. Otherwise, that’s a very odd thing to say. Jill is smart. She’s toeing the line, not betraying Jana by saying the real reason, but letting everyone else know it wasn’t up to Jana. 

Also, even among this forum of critics, everyone has consistently underestimated the level of narcissism, control, abuse, manipulation, and coercion that JB is capable of. It has been worse than we realized every time new info comes out. And that’s only what we know about. I think he sees excluding jill from the wedding party as a public statement of his level of control over the family and forced support for his shunning of Jill. 

I’m still not sure this is 100% JB. I also think Jill’s statement that it should always be the the bride’s choice could also be interpreted that the bride doesn’t have to adhere to any types of traditions like including all your sisters in your bridal party or including the person who you stood up for as maid of honor in your own wedding. Jill could have been saying it’s the bride’s choice, not the bride’s obligation. I think it was worded to be open to different interpretations, whichever fit the reader’s own bias. Jill saying “I don’t know” means to me that it didn’t even warrant Jana having a conversation with Jill.

People have mentioned a bachelorette type party at Jinger’s house. I wonder if Jill was invited to that, or if JB’s control reached to that extent.

I think that JB has made his kids choose sides and they have chosen his side because they agree with him, not because they don’t want to rock the boat.

• Upvote 13
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

On 10/17/2024 at 1:34 PM, JDuggs said:

I’m still not sure this is 100% JB. I also think Jill’s statement that it should always be the the bride’s choice could also be interpreted that the bride doesn’t have to adhere to any types of traditions like including all your sisters in your bridal party or including the person who you stood up for as maid of honor in your own wedding. Jill could have been saying it’s the bride’s choice, not the bride’s obligation. I think it was worded to be open to different interpretations, whichever fit the reader’s own bias. Jill saying “I don’t know” means to me that it didn’t even warrant Jana having a conversation with Jill.

People have mentioned a bachelorette type party at Jinger’s house. I wonder if Jill was invited to that, or if JB’s control reached to that extent.

I think that JB has made his kids choose sides and they have chosen his side because they agree with him, not because they don’t want to rock the boat.

There's footage from Jinger telling her sisters she's pregnant while everyone's there for the bachelorette (in a hot tub! with almost everyone in actual swim suits! on camera!) and it doesn't look like Jill's there. I saw Jana (obviously), Jessa, Joy, Johanna, Josie, Abbie, Michelle, and one of Jana's other two younger sisters. It looks like Jordyn might have been absent, at least from the footage, but in the dark I'm not totally sure if it's Jennifer or Jordyn in the tub. So Abbie came, but at least one, and possibly two, of Jana's actual sisters apparently didn't. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

13 hours ago, metheglyn said:

There's footage from Jinger telling her sisters she's pregnant while everyone's there for the bachelorette (in a hot tub! with almost everyone in actual swim suits! on camera!) and it doesn't look like Jill's there. I saw Jana (obviously), Jessa, Joy, Johanna, Josie, Abbie, Michelle, and one of Jana's other two younger sisters. It looks like Jordyn might have been absent, at least from the footage, but in the dark I'm not totally sure if it's Jennifer or Jordyn in the tub. So Abbie came, but at least one, and possibly two, of Jana's actual sisters apparently didn't. 

I think Jana is closer to Abbie than many of her sisters. 

I watched the newest video. I don’t love her narration style, but I do like the reno projects. I found it interesting now comfortable she was in that house even before the wedding and that she was basically living there (i mean it shouldn’t be a dig deal since her is 34). I like the finished look of the kitchen. 

• Upvote 11

6 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

How many of Elizabeth's children are adults?

i feel like this was posted in the wrong thread....and now i'm dreadfully curious to know what it was meant for 😅

• Haha 4
  • I Agree 4

On 10/20/2024 at 3:47 AM, metheglyn said:

There's a video of Michelle wearing normal swimwear in a hot tub? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, flowergirl said:

There's a video of Michelle wearing normal swimwear in a hot tub? 

No. She is standing beside the hot tub fully dressed.

• Thank You 1

It makes me wonder: would these modesty-fundies be okay with swimwear on girls-only trips?

In this case it is filmed and published so the same standards as public places would apply but what if it was a private moment between friends and family?

For instance, Muslim women do not dress with the same modesty standards in the private of their household.

• Upvote 2

My bet is it's all for show so they're not changing anything.  After all, these people side hugged their own kids.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

My bet is it's all for show so they're not changing anything.  After all, these people side hugged their own kids.

I think the side hugging their own kids was more for camera angles. I’ve noticed it on a variety of influencer and celebrity and wanna be famous social media . Everyone - even little kids- is aware of and facing the camera all the time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1