IGNORED

Pope Francis' Comments on Women

Bluebirdbluebell

The pope was Belgium over the weekend to deal with sex abuse allegations and the usual coverup from the church (link).

The Pope listened to women at University of Louvain who wanted him to expand the role of women in the church. 

The pope replied (link):

Francis replied by saying the Church was female, noting that the Italian word for it, “chiesa”, is a feminine noun.

“A woman within the People of God is a daughter, a sister, a mother,” he said, adding “womanhood speaks to us of fruitful welcome, nurturing and life-giving dedication”.

He's also quoted as saying (link):

“Woman is fertile welcome. Care. Vital devotion,” Francis said. “Let us be more attentive to the many daily expressions of this love, from friendship to the workplace, from studies to the exercise of responsibility in the church and society, from marriage to motherhood, from virginity to the service of others and the building up of the kingdom of God.”

I know criticizing the Pope is controversial, but if JB Duggar said this, we'd all be criticizing him. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

30 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

The pope was Belgium over the weekend to deal with sex abuse allegations and the usual coverup from the church (link).

The Pope listened to women at University of Louvain who wanted him to expand the role of women in the church. 

The pope replied (link):

He's also quoted as saying (link):

I know criticizing the Pope is controversial, but if JB Duggar said this, we'd all be criticizing him. 

Oh, he was criticized!  https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/sep/29/catholic-belgian-university-deplores-comments-by-pope-francis-moments-after-speech

And rightfully so.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Still? I hope not on FJ, though. I haven’t followed threads about Catholicism and/or the pope closely in the past, so I wouldn’t know for certain. But… I hope he gets called out whenever necessary. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Still? I hope not on FJ, though. I haven’t followed threads about Catholicism and/or the pope closely in the past, so I wouldn’t know for certain. But… I hope he gets called out whenever necessary. 

As far as I'm concerned anyone can get called out here, if they deserve it. And if others feel they don't deserve it, that's a good opportunity for a discussion.

I think no one should be above being questioned for their words and actions particularly if they are in a position of influence, assuming the questioning is genuine and not just "Me hate pope, pope words bad. GRR." caveman style.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

Well, the Pope has to keep women out of the clergy! Those wily women might do something to embarrass the church such as having an ecstasy and poppers fueled sexual romp between two  priests resulting in a death during a Papal visit to Belgium.

Oh, wait, that already happened , silly me.

IMG_3008.jpeg

• WTF 1
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I think no one should be above being questioned for their words and actions particularly if they are in a position of influence, assuming the questioning is genuine and not just "Me hate pope, pope words bad. GRR." caveman style.

I think I can speak for all cavemen everywhere that they do indeed feel that the Pope’s words are bad, but being far more enlightened than the Pope that wouldn’t declare they hate him, rather they are disappointed with his misogyny, grrrrrr.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

With all the problems in my life I just told God this afternoon that if he helped me with all of them - health, bar exam, financial, new home, etc - I'd study for the priesthood.  Episcopal priesthood, that is.  Maybe if the Roman church got out of the goddamn stone age when it came to women and married people in the priesthood I and a lot of others would consider it.  Hell, I think if it did there might still be a priest shortage but I don't think it would be acute because the Romans want to force people to choose between serving God and human companionship and being part of families.

• Upvote 1