IGNORED

I hate that the Duggars think it's cute to wear flip flops..

Guest LilaFowler

I can't hate on the flip flops most of the time. I live in the south where people live in flip flops all the time. Before school started this year I had my kids try on their shoes, and nothing fit. We didn't know because they had been in flip flops only the last several months. A decent pair can be very cool and comfortable, especially on a hot, muggy day.

I hate the plastic ones, they seem to eat holes in my feet! I like the ones with thin woven straps. Thin leather straps are nice too.

edited repeatedly to get the image to work, finally gave up.

I wasn't sure which to be more horrified about - the sight of the girls wildly wielding hammers near their unprotected flip flopped feet or how Josh bragged about eating his broccoli and all that was left in the broccoli dish was about a quarter cup of MELTED BUTTER.

How long were they really building, though? TLC pointed out that it was 90 degrees and 76% humidity and showed people drenched in sweat while Josh had not a drop. The girls still had make-up on. Sure Habitat should have put their foot down, but when the corporation sponsoring the whole build wants to shoot for a few minutes I guess you follow the money.

I wasn't sure which to be more horrified about - the sight of the girls wildly wielding hammers near their unprotected flip flopped feet or how Josh bragged about eating his broccoli and all that was left in the broccoli dish was about a quarter cup of MELTED BUTTER.

OMG, before he said broccoli I thought it was soup. When he said it was a bowl of broccoli I seriously started gagging. Ugh.

I love going barefoot. Being Canadian, I don't wear shoes inside my house or when I'm visiting. I go outside in the summer around my house and to talk to the neighbours in barefoot often. I throw on sandals (berkinstocks!) this time of the year because the ground is too cold. Flip flops around the pool and sometimes outside.

I don't like flip flops for walks or going out because of the lack of grip. Last summer i remember an article in the local paper in which a doctor explained how you walk differently in flip flops. It changes your gait, your step and weight distribution.

I found the article. You can read it here http://www.therecord.com/living/healthf ... flop-fears (and yes, RIM has its own heading, its based here).

My mother and I watched the show this week so we could have a bonding snark fest. Quality mother-daughter time and my mom was passing on her values to me. Sounds like something fundies would approve of! Oh wait... The point of this was my mother blew a gasket when she saw the flip flops. They could not have met any health and safety standards. Here the Health and Safety standards visit volunteer work sites and ensure the volunteers met the standards. I have friends who have been seriously injured at work sites. One friend lost three fingers because someone else error and another friend may lose his sight due to a freak accident with the wind, safety glasses and debris. I can't imagine anyone being that dumb as to wear flip flops to a work site! Its not naivety, or fashion. Its pure lack of common sense and inexcusable.

It also speaks to the quality of the parent. A parent should not let their children go to a work site in flip flops. They are horrible parents. i know Michelle wasn't there, but Jim Bob, get a bloody clue! God isn't going to send an angel to protect your daughters feet from saws, falling objects, hammers and other catastrophes on work sits because they wear skirts and are oh so special.

Sorry for the long rant, but it really irked me.

Overall, the Duggars give me a migraine. I have to have a glass of wine in order for me to handle 30 mins of their God awful show.

White wine, right? I don't have migraines and I don't drink but I was talked into a glass of red wine once at a nice meal. uffda, I got a headache that I would say was like a migraine.

I have only one pair of flip flops, made by Nike I think, thick sole. I bought them when we were at Myrtle Beach and I only wear them to and from my backyard pool. I don't see that many people wearing flip flops here, lots of sandals though.

I'm surprised that Habitat let them wear flip flops on a job site, very dangerous. And around horses, no way.

I don't like flip flops for walks or going out because of the lack of grip. Last summer i remember an article in the local paper in which a doctor explained how you walk differently in flip flops. It changes your gait, your step and weight distribution.

I found the article. You can read it here http://www.therecord.com/living/healthf ... flop-fears (and yes, RIM has its own heading, its based here).

My mother and I watched the show this week so we could have a bonding snark fest. Quality mother-daughter time and my mom was passing on her values to me. Sounds like something fundies would approve of! Oh wait... The point of this was my mother blew a gasket when she saw the flip flops. They could not have met any health and safety standards. Here the Health and Safety standards visit volunteer work sites and ensure the volunteers met the standards. I have friends who have been seriously injured at work sites. One friend lost three fingers because someone else error and another friend may lose his sight due to a freak accident with the wind, safety glasses and debris. I can't imagine anyone being that dumb as to wear flip flops to a work site! Its not naivety, or fashion. Its pure lack of common sense and inexcusable.

Interesting article. Wow, he sees an injury/day in summer. Multiply that by the number of podiatrists in the country, thousands of preventable injuries. I had wondered about plantar fasciitis, makes sense flip flops could cause this. I had it once, not from flip flops, and man it is very painful.

If my Mom were alive she'd love to snark on fundies. That's a fun activity for the two of you to enjoy. :P

For me, the cheap plastic flip flops are for the beach, pool, or communal showers. There are nice ones made with genuine leather for the summer, but even then, there are times when closed toed shoes are more appropriate. The leather sandals also have better arch support, and stay on the feet without any effort. Many workplaces don't allow flip flops for safety reasons as well as for a dress code, but that would apply to the male Duggars more than the girls.

Archived