IGNORED

Oh the Duggars... don't even get me started..

supernova8610

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this thread seems to be a de facto introductions thread, I'm introducing myself (hi!) I'm a longtime lurker here, as well as a sometime-TWoP-er. As y'all know, Howard just shut down the TWoP thread for one of his arbitrary, made-up reasons. So I'm coming here for my fix from now on. ;)

What is there to say about the Duggars? Well, I liked them for awhile. Then my eyes were opened by the episode when they visited a public school in honor of reading day. (Why the Duggars would be chosen as the special guests for a literature-related event is beyond me.) During the assembly's Q&A period, a public school kid asked them the very reasonable question, "What are your favorite books?"

Jill was chosen to answer. She stumbled and stammered for a good minute or so, as though she couldn't remember any books she had read. Finally, she came up with "Before You Meet Prince Charming" and "The Reverend Spy." Then the editors did something for which I must give them a lot of credit: they inserted a blurb comparing Duggar reading lists with public school reading lists at the same grade level. For public schoolers, they had To Kill A Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye, A Tale of Two Cities, Catch-22, and The Scarlet Letter. For the Duggars, they had Before You Meet Prince Charming and The Reverend Spy.

I have never respected the Duggars since I found out what a piss-poor education they give and get at their SOTDRT. I read on another forum that Arkansas requires homeschoolers to take a test every year, but they don't have to pass it. Ludicrous? Totally...but it could explain how the Duggars are able to get away with murder where education is concerned.

Since this thread seems to be a de facto introductions thread, I'm introducing myself (hi!) I'm a longtime lurker here, as well as a sometime-TWoP-er. As y'all know, Howard just shut down the TWoP thread for one of his arbitrary, made-up reasons. So I'm coming here for my fix from now on. ;)

What is there to say about the Duggars? Well, I liked them for awhile. Then my eyes were opened by the episode when they visited a public school in honor of reading day. (Why the Duggars would be chosen as the special guests for a literature-related event is beyond me.) During the assembly's Q&A period, a public school kid asked them the very reasonable question, "What are your favorite books?"

Jill was chosen to answer. She stumbled and stammered for a good minute or so, as though she couldn't remember any books she had read. Finally, she came up with "Before You Meet Prince Charming" and "The Reverend Spy." Then the editors did something for which I must give them a lot of credit: they inserted a blurb comparing Duggar reading lists with public school reading lists at the same grade level. For public schoolers, they had To Kill A Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye, A Tale of Two Cities, Catch-22, and The Scarlet Letter. For the Duggars, they had Before You Meet Prince Charming and The Reverend Spy.

I have never respected the Duggars since I found out what a piss-poor education they give and get at their SOTDRT. I read on another forum that Arkansas requires homeschoolers to take a test every year, but they don't have to pass it. Ludicrous? Totally...but it could explain how the Duggars are able to get away with murder where education is concerned.

Welcome to FJ. I agree the Duggars were the worst guests for a literature related event. That episode was very cringeworthy.

I didn't see that episode ,but that is pretty telling. Love your avatar!! :lol:

I watched the Duggars' trip to England and that made my blood boil too. I can't believe they came to my country and didn't appreciate any of it and could only talk about the weird food and the 'wrong side of the road'. No, YOU'RE driving on the 'wrong' side here and it's the OTHER side. And I would kill for my own personal tour of Stonehenge and I don't see why they should have got one simply for having a billion children. What I would have given to have seen the archaeologist tell them about the druids who still come there. The face the children pulled when the Scottish guy said he didn't believe in God was hilarious. I'd love to debate philosophy with Jim-Bob, though I don't know what to expect, seeing as he took his children to a creationism museum which is an oxymoron in itself.

!

That episode made me angry too. I think we had a long thread about it. The Duggars (esp. JB) were such douches the way they acted in the UK. I have wanted to visit Stonehenge for soooooo long and I was really jealous of the tour they got; I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't make any put-downs about it being pagan or something. I couldn't believe they didn't negotiate to stay longer though, if I got to go to England you couldn't drag me away after 2 days!

Oh, and welcome to FJ to all the new delurkers!

Archived